By Rebecca Walton, M.S. CCC-SLP
These five books written by Bill Martin and Eric Carle provide a great variety of activities for expanding vocabulary in children and allowing them to participate throughout the book.
1. The Very Hungry Caterpillar- Great for targeting food, colors, quantities, days of the week, good nutrition
2. The Very Busy Spider- great for animal sounds and animals in general, also has a repeating line. The spider’s web is done in raised printing providing a tactile experience to the book.
3. From Head to Toe: Great for targeting imitating action, expanding action words and body part vocabulary, understanding action words as well as naming animals and repeating line of a question on each page.
4. Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do you See: Great for targeting animals, animal sounds, colors, and receptive language on the last page where all the animals are on one page by asking the child to “point to___” The rhyming line throughout the book is great for building phonological awareness skills.
5. My Very First Book of Colors: Great for targeting colors and matching and to discuss colors of the items in their environment.