By Senia Lee, OTR/L
Still stuck inside this winter? Fight the Cabin Fever by bringing a little bit of Sochi into your home! These “events” are great exercise and work on important skills like balance, coordination, and motor planning (your child’s brain and body working together to figure out how to do a new gross motor activity).
- Stick your feet in Kleenex boxes and “Ski” through a course
- Sit on a scooter board (or similar) on your knees, using your arms as poles
- Do 10 ski jumps (“Scissor jumps,” moving both your arms and legs)
- Do 10 “side skates” (Leaping side to side, trying to land on one foot)
- Do an airplane on each leg for 10 seconds (Balancing on one leg, with your other leg kicked out behind you, arms out as airplane wings)
- Perform your best spinning-twisting-jump in the air
- Do 10 high leg kicks on each leg CURLING
*Use a broom to sweep a “rock” (bean bag, small box, etc.) to the target on the floor. Remember, you must stay in control of the rock!
*Balance on top of a pillow or BOSU ball and show off your best moves - balancing, jumping, twisting in the air
DRAW THE OLYMPIC RINGS